Monday, July 18, 2011

Baptism

Last month my oldest son, Timote, turned 8. Eight is such a special age for us because it is a time in life when you choose for yourself to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Normally I only write about church related things in my personal blog, but I feel impressed to share this special experience from our family. Before I had kids I remember thinking about baptism and how it occurred at the age of 8. I thought 8 was way too young for a child to make a personal decision about religion. I wondered why 8? Why not wait until your older and wiser and have a better grasp on decision making? Why 8? When Mote turned 7 I told my husband that I didn't want Mote to get baptized unless he understood the meaning of it. I didn't want him to get baptized just because you're "supposed to" when you're 8. This summer, as his birthday drew nearer, we talked more and more about the gospel and I could tell he was so excited to get baptized . We scheduled an interview with our bishop and I didn't really know what to expect. When we got to the church I waited out in the hall as Mote went in to the office. I sat outside for longer than I had anticipated. When the door finally opened, the Bishop invited me in to sit next to Mote. He recapped on what he and Mote discussed. They talked about the actual baptism and how it would be conducted. I listened to the Bishop talk and glanced at Mote from time to time. He was so handsome sitting there. I couldn't believe how much he had grown. I sat there and smiled. Together, Mote and the Bishop reviewed with me the covenants Mote would enter. The Bishop explained that Heavenly Father promises that if Mote keeps the commandments and is obedient that he can return to Heavenly Father and live with Him in heaven. When I heard this my eyes filled with tears. I immediately thought of Lauren. I thought of her in heaven, waiting for us to make it back to her. I leaned over and hugged Mote and whispered in his ear "Mote, did you hear that? We'll get to go to heaven and see Rennie." He smiled at me and nodded his head. What a beautiful promise. The realization that I too made this promise at 8 filled my heart with joy. The Bishop said he asked Mote personally if he wanted to be baptized and Mote said yes. I walked out of that office and said a silent prayer of gratitude, thanking Heavenly Father for such a wonderful son who is an example to me, for his character that has helped strengthen my testimony, and for the beautiful covenants that we have and the opportunity to live in heaven with our Father and our family.

Mote got baptized on July 2, 2011. He was baptized by his grandpa Kina (Ti Tonga's Dad) and confirmed by his Grandpa Ti (my Dad). It was so special to see these ordinances take place by these men that mean so much to Mote. It was neat to reflect back on my baptism day as well. I thought a lot about it during Mote's. As I watched Mote and listened to the words that were said that day, I remembered the details of my baptism day and silently renewed those covenants in my heart with my Heavenly Father.

 
I'm so proud of Mote and the righteous decision he made. I have a testimony that this gospel is inspired and run by a divine Father who knows all. I now know how special the 8th year is. I believe it is a time when we are old enough to understand the ordinances of baptism, and still pure enough at heart to make a worthy decision. It is a special age when Heavenly Father thinks that his children are ready to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I thank my son for teaching me this.

3 comments:

Ui said...

thank you so much for sharing that kiki. isn't it amazing how strong the testimony of a young child can be?! and then to see them live it as they enter into the waters of baptism. amazing. congrats to ur son for making such an incredibly brave decision at the ripe age of 8, and a big congrats to his parents...for raising him to be such a great example.

pwincessdi said...

How sweet is this post! Your son really is so dang handsome. It kinda made me tear up because my son is getting baptized next month..such a moment of seeing your son grow up right before your eyes huh! Anyway Congrats to your cute son for making such an awesome decision, and for you mama for leading him down the path of righteousness :)

Leti Purcell-YoungYen said...

So sweet! Amazing how much our children teach us. Congratulations on a wonderful son and his decision to be baptized!