Monday, July 20, 2009

Chicken Soup For My Soul

I am the type of person that likes to do everything on my own. I guess I pride myself in being independent which makes it almost impossible for me to ask for help- especially when I really need it. My way of living has changed somewhat in the last couple months. With Ti Tonga working in Salt Lake, I've had to adjust to doing things here at home the way a single mother would. By now I feel like it's practically the norm. It's not something that I'm proud of or that I seek pity for- it's just what I have to do to survive.
Well, this passed Saturday I realized that I do not posses super natural powers and that it is okay to ask for help. When I was younger I used to get really bad migraines that would make me horribly sick. Saturday I was sitting here watching TV when my vision started to get blurry. This is normally a sign that a migraine is coming for me, but it has been YEARS since I've had a really bad one so I didn't think anything of it. It didn't take long for the pain to hit... and it hit BAD! I was in so much pain that I couldn't move. All I could do was lay there and cry. The person who I wanted most to be there to comfort me was over 600 miles away. I felt so bad for Nici and Mote. They tried to get me a drink of water and Nic sat by me and rubbed my head, but the pain just kept getting worse. Mote was able to get on the phone and call Ti Tonga and when Ti found out what was happening he asked me if I wanted him to call Brian (our home teacher) to come over and give me a blessing. My stubbornness kicked in and I told him No. I would be fine. After hours of pain and vomiting I couldn't take it anymore. I called Ti Tonga and told him I needed a blessing now. Soon after I heard knocking at the door and in come both my home teachers in white shirts and ties. They gave me a blessing then told the boys to put their shoes on so they could take them while I got some rest. Almost instantly the pain subsided just enough for me to drift away into sleep and I was able rest comfortably knowing that the boys were being well taken care of. Later on I heard more knocking to find Allison Baker (my other home teacher's wife) on my doorstep. She brought me all the essentials that an aching body yearned for: chicken noodle soup, french bread, strawberries, and ginger ale. I ate my dinner in peace and the boys showed up afterward- right in time for bed. When Cheryl dropped them off she said she would be back in the morning to pick them up for church and that Allison had already found a sub for my primary class. So Sunday the boys left for church and spent another day at the Johnson's house. I was able to rest the entire day and was joined by the boys again after dinner.
Today I am feeling great and cannot express how much I appreciate all that my ward members have done for me. I'm not going to lie- it has been a tough adjustment being away from Ti Tonga, but how comforting it is to know that if I need a priesthood blessing, or help with the kids- that I can just pick up the phone and call up the street for help. I am so grateful for the love that is abundant in my ward and in the people throughout this gospel. My ward is constantly inspiring me to serve wholeheartedly. How lucky is my family to be a part of this loving community. I was always sure of it before, but I'm telling you now- it IS a fact... that Durango Heights ward is absolutely the BEST =)

9 comments:

pwincessdi said...

Kiki this made me so teary-eyed cause I totally know how you feel. When you are away from your family, your ward family becomes your family...and it's wonderful!! I'm glad your hubby was able to get you the help u needed. It does help to know your ward is always there, and it does make you want to be that type of person in the ward for someone else. I love this post!! Thanks for sharing!! love ya :)

violetsky photo said...

Kiki--I got the goose bumps reading this. I'm glad to know you are in good hands since the hubby is away. I too am in love with your ward! hehe. I hope your feeling lots better. I don't know how you cope with being apart from your husband. I would go crazy! You honestly are so inspiring. Maybe it's time for another visit to the SLC! :)


ps-I'm trying to get inspired by something as far as a design and I will get back to you. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Hey Kiki, wow what a story. Sometimes I feel like that when I need a blessing to. I feel like I don't want to bug people and pull them away from their families. But my wife has taught me that when we ask for a blessing we're already showing forth our faith in that Priesthood power. That's half the battle. The rest is following the instructions of that blessing if any. Anyways, I thought I would show sum lov on your blog. I know your husband from somewhere but I can't remember. I think it was from High School. I went to East and Granger High. I graduated in 2000. Well ;sorry for the novel. Thanks for your support on my blog. I appreciate all the luv. Best wishes.

Alvin

NONU6 said...

I was almost in tears! Thank you for always sharing your strength and faith.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiki..wheww..I totally had to take a few deep breaths to hold back the tearworks ..but I simply had to comment after reading your heartfelt post. Thank you for reminding me about how much we need to appreciate and value the things we or maybe I often take for granted. A very 'Chicken Noodle Soup' moment for my soul. Much Love to the kids and you!
Trina

Anonymous said...

Man, this sure made me tear up! I'm so glad you were able to get through everything. And I know how hard it is, to not have your husband home to help you with the kids. You have definitely been blessed with great ward members! :)

Mr & Mrs Leo & the 4 Little T's said...

Awww... thanks for making me cry. I hope all is well now. You are such an inspiration to so many of us. Good job Super Mom, and I totally agree with you about your ward, but I think all Vegas wards ROCK!

KEEPING UP WITH THE TUKUAFU'S.... said...

Ok...I cried! haha Gosh Keekz Im so sorry you had to go through that but Im so happy to hear of your awesome fellow ward members being there for you!! Thats very heart warming....

Anonymous said...

Where the heck have I been?! It's been so long since I've browsed blogs, but DANG!!! The day I decide to do so I freakin cry my eyes out. Thanks for the reminder that you're an awesome sister, wonderful mother and wife, and such a strong Woman! I love you!!!