Monday, August 23, 2010

Family Reunion 2010 - Salt Lake City, UT

Last month we traveled back home to Salt Lake. Although the main purpose of the trip was for Ti's Fangupo reunion, it had been a while since I'd seen my family, so for me it was also an opportunity to reunite with my Moala family. I remember when we first moved out to Vegas-- our trips back home were a lot different. Me and Ti would try to cram in as many lunch/dinner dates with as many friends as we could. Our trips now are so much more mellow. Most of the time we are just lounging around in our parent's living room or eating a home cooked meal in their kitchen. Although I do miss my friends I've found that I really just want to be surrounded by family when I'm in town.

Day 1:

We arrived in Salt Lake later than I'd hoped on Thursday. We got to my parents house and they immediately wanted to take us out to eat. Me and Ti fell in love with a Chinese restaurant there and now every time we visit my Mom goes out of her way to take us there to dine. So we rounded up the entire family and went out for dinner. After, we all went up to the lake with no intentions of getting wet. No one came dressed to swim, but 95% of our group somehow ended up in the water. The best part for me was having my parents there. They are the biggest home-bodies. They seldom go out and when we asked them if they wanted to go to the lake before dinner they said for us just to go without them. I was surprised when my Dad was the one who brought up the lake on our way home from the restaurant. Their grandkids really are so special to them. That day I sat there and just watched my family and was so full of joy and gratitude. I felt like the luckiest person on earth to belong to such an amazing and loving family. The only thing that could have made that day better was for Misi to be there. We stayed and swam until it was too dark to see.
Day 2:
The next day we woke up and headed up to Provo for our annual Fangupo reunion. This was by far the smallest one we've had, but I'm glad we kept the tradition alive by coming together.
(above: Ti & the boys w/ Ti's parents
below: me & baby Tevita)
We played games at the park then hit up the pool with the kids. I don't think I've ever swam for so long before. The highlight of the water park was definitely the water slides! I didn't think the kids would be tall enough to go down them, but as long as an adult accompanied them they were good to go! So I took the boys one-by-one on each of the slides. Oh man I felt like a kid again!! And the boys loooooved it!
The white water slides in the back are the ones we went on with the boys
We left the pool right before they closed and came back to a table overflowing with food. They had more games for the kids then the adults did our white elephant gift exchange. Me and Ti totally bought something last minute, but wanted Jr & Tina to choose it so I had Toa convince her to pick my bag. They are huge BYU fans and so I thought it was only right to get them some proper fan gear ;)...We ended the night with a slide show on an outdoor jumbo movie screen. I've seen pictures of these things, but this was my first time actually watching a film on one- it was way cool!We also watched old footage of the very first Fangupo reunion back in the day. It was hilarious.

Day 3:
Saturday we went back to the lake with my family. My parents stayed behind this time so it was just us kids. The weather unfortunately did not want to let us play. It rained, but we decided that since we were up there we might as well make use of the trip and hop in the water. After an hour or two of swimming I looked up to see a truck pulling in and out come my parents with a cooler full of drinks and food for us.There was a family of ducks who also thought that it was a good day for a swim
Mei bossing around Ti Tonga. She's the cutest.We talked and laughed forever, then went back to my parents house where we all gathered around my dad's home made fire pit ;)... and roasted marshmallows for s'mores.

We got back with a van full of sand, memories that will not soon be forgotten, and a greater love and appreciation for our family.

1 comment:

IONGI FAMILY said...

family reunions are the best!!! and both of ur parents are amazing!!! what fun to be surrounded by what matters most FAMILY!!! thanks for sharing!!!