Monday, August 9, 2010

Sink or Swim We're Diving In!

There are a lot of things I wish I could be better at. I'm not sure if it's natural to want your kids to excel at the things you fall short of, but I am guilty of doing just that. I hate that I'm so shy and wish I could be more outgoing so I encourage my kids to be social. I'm always the one chanting their names and cheering them on when they sing or dance in front of a crowd. Ti says that I am the pickiest eater so I make the boys try new foods at least once (sometimes twice) before allowing them to say that they don't like the taste of something. I also have a fear of drowning because I've never learned to swim. My boys are the complete opposite. They love everything about water. This summer they've started putting a lot of different twists on their dives. Siope has finally ditched his life jacket. He was the slowest to do so. I didn't think he'd make the switch on his own so I told him that this would be the last summer he could wear it in order to prep him for next year. They went to the pool yesterday and I asked him where his life jacket was and he told me he didn't want to wear it anymore. Here's some pics Neo sent me of the kids at her pool.

3 comments:

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

OMG....they jump into the deep like that w/out life jackets?? That's freakin' awesome! Did they take swimming lessons? I've been trying my hardest to teach my boys to swim....Makai's doing better, but Mone is scared to death and everytime we go swimming, he won't let go of me or Ova...so annoying! I think I'll have to let them swim with your boys....so they can see how cool it is!!

Kiki Fangupo said...

Yes Monica they do. They dive and do flips. They really want to learn how to do back flips but haven't mastered it yet. No swimming lessons. Just learned from Ti Tonga throwing them into the deep end and them paddling for dear life - you know, Tongan style LOL. It helps that we have a pool just a couple steps away.

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

Hahaha....dang only story I've heard where the throwing them into the deep end actually helped....I think my kids are traumatized because that's what Ova did to them... Tongan style not quite working with my boys....hahaha