Monday, June 28, 2010

Hula Who?

There are some things that I know will never make it into our house. Tiara's, Barbies, mermaids, princesses, tea sets - just to name a few. I thought I had it all figured out... until 2 weeks ago when the boys slept over Toakesa's house. It was the weekend that Ti was in Colorado and when we got to the house Toakesa was so excited to show the boys her new hula hoop she got for her birthday. I was talking to Toa in the living room but could overhear the kids in the kitchen. I didn't think too much of it cause I was sure that the boys wouldn't find her hula hoop interesting. Toakesa was showing them how good she had become when all the sudden I hear Mote say "Oh I know how to do it." He takes the hula hoop and starts shaking his hips for like 2 minutes straight without it falling. Me, Toa, and Mote (Lahi) were cracking up! I was so surprised that Mote knew how to hula hoop. He said that he learned in gym class. When Nic saw he wanted a turn and then the fighting over the hula hoop began. "Mom! Mote won't let me have a turn! He's hogging the hula hoop all to himself!" Wow, words that I thought I'd never hear my boys say. This was all weird and very surprising to me. Nic finally got a turn, but wasn't able to keep it up for more than a second. I thought it may have been a bit advanced for his thick little uncoordinated body to handle ;) But made sure that they kept taking turns. When I went to pick up the boys the next day Nic dashed down the stairs to hug me and the first thing out of his mouth was "Mom! Come watch me! I know how to hula hoop!" So I followed him and sure enough he had mastered the hula hoop. I was so shocked and not gonna lie - pretty proud of my little Nici =) Toa said they were stuck on the hula hoop all night. I told Ti Tonga about it on the phone, but I wanted him to see for himself. So I went to Walmart the other day and bought a hula hoop for our house- yes I know, I thought I'd never find myself in the hula hoop isle, but there I was. Finding a blue one without floral or butterflies turned out to be a bigger challenge than I thought. The kids were beyond excited when they seen it. Nic has gotten even better and him and Mote are now trying to teach Siope. I thought I should record them to show my Mom and sisters back home. I know if my brothers see this I'll never hear the end of it lol... oh well. Here's the boys hula hoopin to one of their FAVORITE songs.

4 comments:

IONGI FAMILY said...

how cute are ur boys!!! I don't think its girlie at all!!

NONU6 said...

Your boys are pros! Nothing girlie about it. They are so adorable, bustin their lil dance moves when not hula hoopin.

Ps. Love the family pic!

Neomai Mataele said...

omg this was so freakin cute and funny! Mote and NIc are pros... siope on the other hand needs to stick to dancing and singing! lol love you guys!

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

Hahaha how cool! You even got a hula hoop that lights up! Awesome! Right on boys....with a blue hula hoop, it's not girly at all! hahaha