Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's Always Fun When Grandma Comes

I just got back from taking my Mom to the airport and thought I'd blog about it real quick before everyone wakes up. It's not unusual for my family to fly out just for 1 day to spend time with my boys. The kids had no clue she was coming in. Mote and Nic were awake early yesterday so I asked them if they wanted to go for a ride- of course they agreed. They're able to recognize the airport as soon as we exit off the freeway so I was hoping that they wouldn't be paying close attention.
"Oooh I see an airplane! Mom where are we going?"
"Uuh... to the store."
"Oh. Okay."
They turned their attention back to their movie and nothing else was said until we pulled up to passenger pickup. "Grraaannndmaaaaaa!!!" They were so excited!
When we got home Siope opened the door as soon as he heard the garage and instead of fussing about us leaving without him, his eyes lit up and he sprinted toward Grandma for hugs and kisses.
It only took about a minute before she whipped out all her goods and went to work in the kitchen. She always checks a cooler full of Tongan food so that she can cook for Ti Tonga- not me, just Ti Tonga :P
Siope would not leave her side. The kids aren't allowed to climb up on the kitchen chairs, so he grabbed the exercise ball and rolled it right up to Grandma and chatted away as she cooked. Lu sipi, ota, and manioke mmmm mmm. Nothing beats Momma's home cookin!
Later that day we sat outside and watched the kids ride their bikes. Mote served us all cinnamon rolls that Ti baked, then we came in and got ready for bed. They all brought their blankets and pillows downstairs and slept with Grandma in the living room. This morning when I was driving my Mom to the airport I asked her how long the kids stayed up watching their movie. She seemed amazed at their ability to stay awake longer than her- mainly Siope. And then she said "Kiki, I fell asleep before the movie ended. I slept when the fat kid got stuck in the tube." Then she anxiously asked, "How did it end Kiki???" So I had to explain that Charlie won, he helped Willy Wonka reunite with his dad... yada yada yada... and they all lived happily ever after. haha this lady is hilarious! Then she said "I told Mote that I'm going to come back with Grandpa to watch his soccer game. I made sure he knew I was coming back. You know, in case he gets sad when he wakes up." Yes, the kids will be so sad when they wake up to find Grandma missing, but atleast we had a whole day of fun with her- for that I am grateful.

4 comments:

Halli said...

Grandma's are great! They're so important in kids' lives. Loved the post, Kiki.

Anonymous said...

She told us the story about her telling Mote they would be back to watch his soccer game, so that he wouldn't be sad when he woke up and she was gone. I can understand why she would fall asleep during THAT movie. lol. Love the pic of Siope on the ball!

NONU6 said...

Kiki, you almost had me in tears.. Idk why. Maybe its cause I know just how sweet your mom is!! Or made me realize I should be grateful that my mom lives not too far away.

Ane said...

Hi Kiki! I don't know you at all, I found you through Halli's blog but I know you know Anna and Cia and I am also related to your husband...I am a Brown..just wanted to add to my blog list cuz it's about time I found some more Tongan moms here in the blog world and I also enjoy reading your blog! Have a wonderful Tuesday! I better get to sleep! lol!

Ane

aka

The Mama Hood