Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Tulou"

I was at Vons today and as I got closer to the store I approached the shopping carts at the same time as a palangi lady. She looked at me asked me if I was Filipino. I get this all the time. If it's not Filipino, then it's Hawaiian- and we have plenty of both out here in Vegas. I told her I was Polynesian and she says, "Oh, you're from the South Pacific? Which Island?"
"I'm Tongan."
"Oh! Wow! You're from Tonga! I've been there before, it's beautiful."
"Thank you."
"Have you been there before?"
"No actually. My parents originate from there, but I haven't had the chance to go there personally. I was born in Hawaii and was raised in the States."

We head into the store when she turns to me and says, "Your King just passed away not too long ago right?"


I was shocked that this woman had even heard of Tonga... and I'm blown away that she's actually been there.... now she even knows about our King and his death?! Wow!

"Yes he did pass away."
"Well thank you for talking with me and sharing a little bit of yourself with me. It brought back memories of my trip. Thank you."
"Oh, you're very welcome. It was nice meeting you."

I start to push my cart off when she comes up to me again with her cart and says, "When you cross paths with someone, instead of saying ""Excuse me"" don't you say ""Tulou?""

"Yes! You do! You're absolutely right!"

She flashed a smiled at my look of amazement and we both went our seperate ways to finish our grocery shopping. This was such a cool little experience today! It made me smile!!!

3 comments:

Halli said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm so proud when others have had positive experiences with our people and our island. We really do have interesting traditions and can be beautiful friendly people. How cool was it for her to branch out and express her experiences with you? I love those type of interactions.

Halli said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm so proud when others have had positive experiences with our people and our island. We really do have interesting traditions and can be beautiful friendly people. How cool was it for her to branch out and express her experiences with you? I love those type of interactions.

RINA :) said...

Wow, what a small world! And random too, eh? lol That reminds me of a similar story that I will have to save for another post---hehehe