Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Movie Night- Where the Wild Things Are

Last night we took the boys to the Drive-In. It's been a while since I've seen a movie at the Drive-In... actually it's been years. The last time I saw a movie outdoors was when Mele and Ofa took us to watch Lion King at Redwood. About the only change that I noticed last night was that they got rid of the little speakers they used to have set up at each parking spot in exchange for a radio signal that transmitted the sound of the movie to our car speakers.
We normally wait for movies to hit redbox because they are so darn expensive to watch in the theaters. When Mote turned 5 we took the boys to South Point and watched The Incredible Hulk. We spent almost $100 on tickets and snacks-- and that was for a matinee.
So despite the Drive-In being a little further away and not as pretty as the theatres, I was thrilled when I seen that we could see new movies for $6.25 an adult. And even happier when I found out that Tuesdays were family nights and me and Ti were only $4.25 each and the boys free!
We went and watched Where the Wild Things Are. The boys read the book last month and fell in love with the tale of Max and his adventure with the Wild Things. I was really impressed with how much the Wild Things resembled the illustrations in the book. The movie was a little different. Not really what I thought it would be, but I liked it. I was worried the boys would get bored in the middle, but they did pretty good at paying attention. The ending was really sad I thought. I actually had to try not to cry cause I felt that it would be embarrassing if I got caught crying over a children's film. When we left I turned to the back seat to ask the boys if they liked it and noticed tears on Mote's cheek. I was surprised that he connected that much with the movie and understood the story enough to feel sad. I guess you should never underestimate kids and their ability to comprehend whats going on.
Anyway, I'm so glad we found this Drive-In. I'm excited that we get to watch more movies with the boys without breaking the bank. Sunny With a Chance of Meatballs is still playing, so I'm thinking we should watch that on another Tuesday night.

No comments: