Saturday, July 19, 2008

2008 Reunion Day 3

Kina Leka and Christina were in charge of breakfast this morning. The only thing on everyone's mind was pretty much getting back in the lake. But before we did, Mazely got up and said a few words to everyone under the pavilion. I can't explain how much respect I have for this woman. She is the oldest grandchild of Timote and Ilaisaane and she is just amazing. I don't think I have ever met someone as sweet as her. She has this innocence to her that I just love. She directed her words toward the in-laws of the family and expressed her gratitude and appreciation for us. Her sincere words were so touching, it had us all in tears. One of the reasons I love getting together with the Fangupo family is because there are no cliques. Everyone feels welcomed and I was a little sad because I thought that we had kind of lost that vibe this year, but Mazely's wonderful presence and words helped ease all ill feelings that were floating around. With everyone in a better mood we headed for the sand and water. We were able to pull together and rent a couple of jet ski's which I'm sure was the highlight of the day for most. Sau Lahi was there with his boat, so there were lots of activities to choose from. Siope wasn't playing much in the water so I decided to take him for a ride on the boat. Just as we were about to leave more kids hopped on board and I seen Mote amongst them. It was so much fun! I can't believe how fast that thing was able to go. When the boat ride was over I went on the jet ski with Ti Tonga and Siope. The speed of the boat had nothing on the jet ski! Lunch was self serve. They had a sandwich bar up in the main pavilion and after I had eaten I was so tired! I tried to stay down by the water to get as many pictures as I could, but I couldn't stay awake. I went back to the tent with Siope to take a nap and woke up to Tina and Li offering me more goodies that I couldn't resist. Ti Tonga and the boys came up later and Mote kept asking me how come I didn't get a picture of him on the jet ski's. DANGIT! Next year I'll have to toughen it out so I won't miss anything. After showers and a fresh pair of jammies, we met up with everyone for dinner. It amazes me what Tongans manage to cook when you're in the middle of no where. I remember eating dutch oven meals at Rough camp, and here we are eating kale sipi and capisi sipi! lol... These people don't spare anything when it comes to cooking. This was definitely the coldest night! We ate frybread with honey and powdered sugar for desert- yummy!!! And someone whipped out the cocoa while everyone was cleaning. Such a good time! Before bed we headed up to Tina and Jr's campsite and roasted marshmallows over a REAL fire this time. Nici decided to sleep with Nana that night which was completely fine with me. Me, Ti Tonga, Mote, and Siope headed back up to our campsite after we were full of graham crackers, marshmallows, and Hershey's chocolate. Goodnight =)

No comments: