Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Phone Call

Have I ever mentioned that I'm not a morning person? Well I'm not! So when I heard the phone ringing at five o'clock this morning I was a tad annoyed. I got out of bed to see Ti Tonga's number on the caller ID. Ugh, does he seriously have to call just to remind me to lock the front door?! I was not prepared for the words that would follow. "Hun, I just got in a car accident and our car is totaled... I'm so sorry Kiki." Omg I was wide awake by now, but still trying to grasp onto what was happening. Ti Tonga was absolutely frantic on the other end of the phone and hung up quickly to go and check on the other guy that was involved in the accident. I tried to gather my thoughts and waited patiently for Ti Tonga to call back. The phone rang again and he confirmed that both him and the other guy involved were safe- thank goodness! I remember the first time I got into a car accident and the shock that followed after, so I tried my best to calm Ti Tonga down because he was very alarmed and upset. All he kept saying was "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."
It turns out that he wasn't far from our house. Our community is fairly new and the road that he was traveling on doesn't have any street lamps, so it's very hard to see when the sun is down. He said he didn't even see the car driving across the road, so when he crashed into him it caught him by complete surprise. The gentleman in the other car (a black Honda Element) said that this was actually his second time in this situation. He had been hit before by another car that couldn't see him at night, so he was very understanding and nice to Ti Tonga. They swapped info, filled out the police reports, and our car was towed. Thank goodness Ti wasn't too far from the house because we only have one vehicle and I didn't have anyone to call to pick him up.
After sitting for a while my emotions started to change from "Thank goodness everyone is okay" to "Oh my gosh, our car is totaled. How are we going to pay for all this?" We spoke with our insurance agency who took our claim and they arranged for us to get a rental. Later that day we heard back from our agent who confirmed that the Tahoe was picked up from the tow yard and was being looked at. We will be hearing back from them within 2 days on the repair details, but she said that it looks like they may be able to repair it. I am praying that our car hasn't suffered too much damage and will make it's way back to our garage after some TLC in the shop!! And to think... my insurance rate was scheduled to drop next month :( I shiver just thinking about how high my new rate will be, but I'd rather pay a higher rate each month, than to pay for a new car! Please give me my car back PLEASE!

1 comment:

RINA :) said...

OMG! My heart was racing the whole time! You're such a good story teller =) I'm sorry about that sis! But the important thing is that Ti Tonga is ok. That is so scary. I've never been in a car accident before *knock on wood*. I can't even imagine how scary that is. Y'all are smart and strong though, YOU WILL SURVIVE!! Your poor insurance rate, girl I feel you. In Vegas, insurance is like another car payment! lol

Hang in there momma =)

Love,
Rina