Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Making Headlines

Me and Ti browse the Salt Lake reports more so than Vegas stories. I came across a couple of news articles on someone by the name of Fatu Moala =) My youngest brother will be entering his senior year at Kearns High School (woot woot!) And I'm hoping that their football team will have a successful season.

"Expectations are very high inside Kearns High's football program,
and the fact that the Cougars are planning on accomplishing some
big things this fall speaks volumes about the job coach Bill Cosper
has done since taking over the program two years ago."
-D. Rasmussen
photo courtesy of Desert News

Between the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune they've described Fatu as being a "stellar weapon at wide receiver" and a "Division 1 kid".
He's got so much talent in that skinny little body of his. I remember how busy his schedule was growing up. I hated taking him to practice because it was an all day task. He would wake me up early to take him to an ODP (Olympic Development Program) soccer tournament and I'd sleep in the car until his game was done. We'd come home to get something to eat and it wasn't long before we'd be off again. This time I'd drop him off at soccer practice with a different team. He was only 11 or 12 and he was practicing with 16 yr olds. I remember going to pick him up and seeing this scrawny little Tongan boy surrounded by a bunch of palangi High school kids. I watched nervously, afraid that they might pick on him but none of them did. I think they all respected him and his ability to keep up with them. And that wasn't the end of his day. After that 2nd activity he would be off to football. At the time I didn't think much of it. But now that I look back, I'm amazed at how much Fatu was able to handle at such a young age. His schedule has been pretty hectic since he first showed interest in sports. I hope all his years of practice, training, and hard work will pay off. I would love to see him go far- heaven knows he's certainly capable of doing so. I've seen him excel in Soccer, Basketball, and football. I sometimes wonder if he even realizes how much talent he holds? If so, then he sure doesn't show it. Cockiness is not his thing. Which is probably why everyone loves to cheer him on. I know without a doubt in my mind that this kid is capable of big things. I just hope he's given the opportunity to achieve them. Good luck Fatu, in all that you do!

3 comments:

NONU6 said...

Wow HOT mama! You are looking beautiful as ever. So anytime you are willing to let me practice, I'm there :) Well good luck to your brother in the coming year. It's always good to hear positive things about Polynesian youth.

Anonymous said...

Kiki! oh my gosh, i remember those days like they were yesterday! That little twig hanging with all the "big boys". Now look at him. Sheesh how time flies! Fatu and his million taxi drivers. He owes us all Hummers once he makes it.... (fingers crossed) lol.

Kiki Fangupo said...

Hummers? psht... I'll take a volvo. And make it silver ;)